Whole Child International invites the press to contact our U.S. office at 310-394-1000 or email@example.com. We appreciate any efforts to spread the word about our effective, though surprisingly simple, efforts to solve one of the most entrenched problems in human society: the poor outcomes of group care on orphans, children in limited-resource childcare, and others of the world’s most vulnerable children.
Major Media Coverage (2016)
In a May 29, 2016 segment of NBC's Dateline: On Assignment, Cynthia McFadden explored Whole Child International and its unique approach to caring for vulnerable children. The piece tells the story with an intensive focus on our Embracing the Future campaign.
Dateline: On Assignment, May 29, 2016 (NBC)
View the “Dateline: On Assignment” feature and associated videos on the official NBC page, and Jake Whitman and Cynthia McFadden’s article, Heir B&B: Orphans to Get Boost from Princess Diana’s Althorp here. The piece was introduced the prior Friday on a segment of the Today show, available upon request.
“Heir B&B: 4 Ways to Help Orphans” (NBC), May 29, 2016
As a special feature of NBC’s Dateline: On Assignment segment, Cynthia McFadden and Whole Child founder Karen Spencer discuss four ways Whole Child International helps improve the lives of children who live in orphanages.
People Magazine, July 11, 2016
Whole Child International and family of its founder, Karen Spencer, graced the July 11, 2016 edition of People Magazine, along with several pages of the online magazine:
- Click here for a PDF of the print magazine article.
- People’s exploration of Whole Child’s “Embracing the Future” campaign: “Want to Spend the Weekend at Princess Diana’s Childhood Home? Here’s How!”
- People Magazine: “Go Inside Princess Diana’s Childhood Home with Her Sister-in-Law, Countess Spencer (There’s a Bouncy Castle in the Dining Room!)”
- People Magazine: “Inside Charles Spencer and Wife Karen’s ‘Unbelievably Beautiful’ Renovation Plans for Princess Diana’s Grave”
Good Morning America, April 23, 2007
Whole Child’s founder Karen Spencer (then Karen Gordon) sat down with Good Morning America’s Chris Cuomo to discuss why it was necessary to establish Whole Child International and elaborate on the benefits of our work on the world’s most vulnerable children.
Evening Magazine, April 12, 2008 (King 5 NBC TV)
Whole Child Founder & CEO Karen Spencer (then Karen Gordon) was featured in a 2008 segment of Seattle’s King 5 TV’s Evening Magazine. The piece appeared as part of coverage of the “Seeds of Compassion” conference, featuring His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Karen Spencer, and others making a difference in the lives of children.
Forbes Magazine, February 12, 2007
In February 2007, Forbes Magazine published a feature article on Whole Child International, introducing our work to a new population of readers. The article focuses on the challenges any organization faces when it tries to work in orphanages, which was the spark that led to Whole Child’s founding. “When [founder Karen Spencer] offered to help United Nations officials explore how to improve care, she was turned away. She learned that the World Health Organization and the World Bank also oppose putting children in institutions — so why bother fixing them? ‘I would love for all children to live in a happy, nurturing home,’ she says. ‘In the meantime someone needs to be dealing with the existing problem.'” (View here.)
Glamour Magazine (May 2008)
In May 2008, Glamour Magazine featured Whole Child and founder Karen Spencer (then Gordon) in its “Hero of the Month” section. The article used the founder’s story as a way to outline the need for our work: “In one orphanage, neglected infants fell asleep in their high chairs, and older children spent their days in toyless rooms, taking their boredom out on one another. ‘They had bite marks on their backs.'” Ten years after the organization’s founding, its work addressing these specific care practices has been proven to have a huge impact on the children we’ve been able to reach. (View here.)
Media Coverage of Whole Child’s 2010 Events with His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama joined Whole Child International in Los Angeles on Feb. 20-21, 2010, to address the emotional needs of vulnerable children worldwide. During two days with Whole Child, His Holiness engaged philanthropists, academics, government officials, and the public on how to meet the needs of the most vulnerable children around the globe. (Please click here to learn more.)
CNN Larry King Live, March 7, 2010
In March 2010, His Holiness the Dalai Lama came to Los Angeles at the invitation of Whole Child International. His Holiness sat down with Larry King on CNN to discuss the organization, its mission, and other topics. A transcript is available here (beginning with the text, “When the Dalai Lama speaks, people listen).”
Articles and Audio
- Los Angeles Times, 2/22/2010. “Dalai Lama Speaks — at Universal Studios,” Kate Linthicum.
- NPR, 2/22/2010. “Dalai Lama Committed to Promoting Human Value.”
- Huffington Post, 4/19/2010. “Whole Child International Hosting The Dalai Lama For Children’s Issues.”
- Huffington Post, 4/23/2010. “Dalai Lama: Lovingly Nurture Each (Whole) Child,” Michael Martin.
Please also see the related article on the Dalai Lama’s own website from February 21, 2010.
- By Whole Child International: Countess Spencer Elected Ashoka Fellow: Recognized for Filling Gap in Care for Orphans and Vulnerable Children, September 2015
- By Whole Child International: “His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama to Visit Los Angeles Following D.C. Trip,” February 2010
- By Whole Child International: “Sheryl Crow Joins Whole Child International and His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama,” February 2010
- By Whole Child International: “His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama to Visit Los Angeles,” January 2010
- By SISEL International: “Thomas Mower Meets the Dalai Lama,” April 2010
Press conference announcing 2010 Los Angeles visit by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, January 2010